Thursday, October 7, 2010

Spooky Mirror Before and After

Here is a little mirror that I got at the Saxton's River Auction for $5.00. It was in pretty bad shape but look at that crazy spidery crazing. It is real and NOT a faux finish. I had a vision.
A bit of sanding with a medium grit sandpaper.
Some repair work was needed to glue down some veneer that had lifted.
One of the block pedestals was missing a chunk so I removed them both and glued these dowel caps on for new feet. These can be found in the wood craft section at Micheals.

I used Rustoleum satin black spray paint. A few thin coats was sufficient.
Next I sanded away some of the edges to give it a lightly distressed look.
I also added a coat of Bri-Wax to smooth out the finish and replaced the mirror back in the frame.
To finish off the back, I covered it with some vintage wallpaper.
Voila! Spooky mirror all set up on the mantle ready for Halloween. I'm way ahead of the game this year. Last year I think I was rushing around decorating the house on the 31st.

1 comment: