Monday, November 10, 2008

Lobster Fest!

Here is the upside of a down economy: Apparently there is a glut of lobsters on the market and when I heard that on the news I ran right out to my local grocery and got these babies for $3.99 per pound!!!! I restrained myself and bought just three...two for the following yummy recipe below and one for lunch. Lobster for lunch on a Tuesday... that's what I call livin!

This recipe was given to me by a good friend and fellow artisan Barbara. She always serves it at our Artisan potluck dinners and it is always a big hit. It's rich and delicious.

Lobster Mac & Cheese


14 ounces small macaroni
4 TBLSP. chopped onion
salt & pepper
6 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
4 cups thin white sauce (see below)
meat (tails and claws) from two cooked lobsters (can also use the equivilent of frozen lobster)
2 TBLSP butter

Heat oven to 375. Cook mac as directed on box. Place half the mac in ungreased 9x13 casserole. Sprinkle with half the onion, lobster & cheese, repeat. Pour white sauce over casserole. Dot with butter. Cover. Bake 30 minutes. Uncover, bake 15 minutes longer.

White sauce
For each cup of sauce:

1 TBLSP. butter
1 TBLSP. flour
salt
pepper
1 cup milk or 1/2 & 1/2 (I used the half and half)
Melt butter in saucepan over low heat. Blend in flour, salt & pepper. Cook over low heat, stirring until mixture is smooth & bubbly. Remove from heat. Stir in milk. Heat to boiling, stirring constantly. Boil and stir 1 minute.

1 comment:

Sea Angels said...

Goodness I am rather fond of Lobster, and at those prices wow!! you were very restrained, enjoy.....lovely colour
HUGS LYNN XX