Sunday, July 20, 2008

Oh Mamma Mia!

We went to see this movie last night and it was enjoyable with a few caveats... I love Meryl Streep dearly but I don't think she had the vocal talent to carry this movie and watching Pierce Brosnan try to sing was truly painful.... The young girl who played Sophie was very good though and Christine Baranski has the talent to do justice to her scenes and songs.

However, go see this movie purely for the art direction! It is set on a hill top inn on a Greek island and the scenery is scrumptious. The inn is crumbling, drenched with light and sumptious with color and scattered with gorgeous vintage linens and old iron beds. There is a scene where they are walking through the laundry yard which is dripping with colorful vintage tableclothes and embroidered linens- enough to make me swoon! The wedding is scene is so romantic and the table settings and hanging candles make me want to plan an outdoor party right away. I loved the costumes and the interiors... just lovely. The art direction inspired me much the way the movie Chocolat did. So, go see it for that and forgive the substandard musical talent.

No comments: