Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Little Field Trip

I am so lucky to live in a beautiful part of New England. As if New Hampshire didn't have enough scenic spots to explore, it is just a quick trip over the Connecticut River to gorgeous Vermont. I had a little field trip with my thrift shop buddies and we stopped in on Norwich, VT. This general store in Norwich was astounding! This is a true icon because it is a genuine country general store, not a contrived general store put there for tourists. A vanishing breed. You could spend hours perusing its contents. The worn narrow wooden floors are wavy like the ocean from years of use. I was just amazed by the variety of inventory...literally anything and everything you could need. Who needs Wal-mart?! The community board on the front of the store was a work of art in itself. Notice the dog tie-out down in front..love that. I so wish we had a store such as this in our town. Every town should have one.
Of course we hit the thrift stores and I found some nice sewing notions. I especially love the needle book from an Esso gas station give-away.


I found this tied tray which was not old but I loved the color and design and I love anything with a pedestal.


This is the lovely flower display in the center of Norwich.



My friends enjoying dessert in the little park. Isn't the little doll house play area darling?





This was the cutest and most colorful shop called ZuZu's. It was a clever mix of new and vintage goods.




Now... for a bit of a change. I have been busy working on my icons from last week's workshop. Here is a little house portrait that I made for my neighbors who are moving away. I thought this would be a nice way for them to remember their home in Walpole.



And here are my finished icons from the workshop.




1 comment:

Rebecca said...

I love the one with auntie Florence and Uncle Bob ...Perfect..as Aunt Flo came up for a visit, she is 97 now and looks wonderful..I really wish you lived closer so you could have seen her, it was soooo special. Love your blog, check all the time.