Saturday, November 29, 2008

Thankful

Welcome to my Thanksgiving table. My favorite holiday of the year.... hands down, no question. Where we actually set aside a day to be thankful for what we have and reflect on those good things in our life. This has been a rough year for our family with the loss of a sister-in-law well before her time and the illnesses of both of our mothers. Somehow on Thanksgiving you still feel thankful for what is good, you know that you can cope with anything if you have family around you and of course enjoy a really good meal. These are my cherished "Tom Turkey" plates. The story about these goes like this. I really really loved these plates and my mother offered up a deal: Whoever would host Thanksgiving would get to keep the plates. I couldn't get my hand up fast enough and have been hosting this holiday ever since. I have become quite proficient over the years (not to be too braggy about it) and always add in some new dishes along with the tried and true traditional favorites.


My Thanksgiving mantle with a new red and white cloth that I found at the thrift store. I just love red and white.



Holiday centerpieces of mums, votives and mixed nuts. Cheap and easy.








I used a brown sugar and spicey mustard glaze on the turkeys this year and they came out spectacularly brown and really good with a sweet crunchy skin. I always cook two smaller turkeys (around 12 lbs each) instead of one large one. They are more tender and there are more drumsticks to share!






Roasted vegetable medley of sweet potato, parsnips and carrots










homemade rolls.... my favorite right out of the oven.

This was new this year from the Stonewall Farm Kitchen cookbook: roasted brussel sprouts with pancetta and a balsamic glaze... yummy!
I can't believe I didn't get pictures of the desserts but they were good.... trust me.
Hope you enjoyed my Thanksgiving celebration and that your holiday was wonderful...
Loribeth








1 comment:

Heather said...

wow, that is a spectacular thanksgiving spread! Next year, I'm coming to your house ;)
those dishes are beautiful too!